Table of Contents
Family Sponsored Second Preference (F2B)
The Second Preference F2B category is available for family members who are the unmarried child and is 21 years of age or older to a United States lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder).
What is the Process for Applying for a Family Preference Green Card?
Second Preference F2B family members may apply for a Green Card either through Consular Processing or Adjustment of Status.
Consular processing is available for applicants who are currently living outside of the United States.
Under consular processing, applicants must:
- File an Immigrant Visa Petition Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);
- Attend Interview at Consulate or Embassy;
- Receive a sealed Visa Packet after Visa is approved;
- The Visa Packet must be brought to a United States port of entry when the individual seeks entry into the United States, and must not be opened prior to arrival at the port of entry.
Adjustment of Status is available for applicants who are living inside of the United States at the time of they seek a Green Card.
Under adjustment of status, applicants must:
- File an Immigrant Visa Petition Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative to the USCIS;
- File a Change of Status Petition Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status;
- Submit Supporting and Identifying Documentation with Form I-130 and Form I-485, including:
- Two passport-style photographs that conform to Department of State photo requirements;
- Copy of the Form I-797, Approval or Receipt Notice (for the Form I-130 petition filed on the applicant’s behalf)
- Note: Form I-797 does not need to be filed if Form I-130 and Form I-485 is filed together
- Copy of applicant’s birth certificate;
- Copy of applicant’s passport page with non-immigrant visa;
- Copy of applicant’s passport page with admission or parole stamp issued by a U.S. immigration officer;
- Copy of government-issued ID with applicant’s photograph;
- Copy of Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record or copy of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) admission or parole stamp on the travel document
- Proof of continuously lawful status since arriving in the U.S.;
- Form I-864, Affidavit of Support or Form I-864EZ, Affidavit of Support
- Form I-944, Declaration of Self-Sufficiency, if applicable;
- Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record;
- Certified police and court records of criminal charges, arrests, or convictions, if applicable;
- Form I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal, if applicable;
- Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, if applicable;
What is the Cost to Receive a Green Card Under Family Preference F2B?
Immigrant Visa Petition
The cost to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative is $535.
Biometrics Services Appointment
The cost of the Biometrics Services Appointment is $85. However, individuals under the age of 14 or over the age of 79 do not have to pay this fee.
The cost to file Form I-485 can vary depending on age. For most applicants the cost is $1,140. However, individuals who are under the age of 14 applying with Form I-485 of at least one parent must only pay $750.
There is no cost to file:
- Form I-94;
- Form I-864;
- Form I-693;
- Form I-944
The cost to file Form I-212 and Form I-601 is each $930.