F-1 (Student Visa)

F-1 (Student Visa)

The F-1 visa allows foreign nationals to pursue a full course of academic study at a school approved by the Attorney General for foreign students. However, it is not necessary to have an F-1 visa to attend school. Spouses and dependents of E visas, L visas, H-1B visas, and J visas may also attend school on a full or part-time basis. Spouses or parents of F-1 students are not authorized to work.

The requirements to obtain an F-1 visa are strict. While some students obtain an F-1 visa and then enter US, many students enter on another visa (like the H-4) and then file for a Change of Status to F-1. At the Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal, we get many cases where students attempt to file their request for Change of Status on their own, and then find themselves with an onerous Request for Evidence, or worse, a denial.

Please note that after an application for Change of Status is approved, and the foreign national travels outside the US, he/she will have to obtain the F-1 visa at the consulate abroad.

Please contact us if you are attempting to file a request for a Change of Status to F-1, or have any other question on F-1 visas.

There are limited situations when F-1 students can work in an on-campus job up to 20 hours a week during the school year. Watch the video for the legal segment on Sitaarre TV that explains how F-1 students can work in the US. This video was aired on March 18, 2012.

Sweta was a Guest Speaker at event organized by Fremont Indus Entrepreneur Group where she spoke on Hiring employees on OPT, CPT and H-1. The presentation can be viewed

Hiring employees on OPT, CPT & H- 1 B from Sweta Khandelwal