Call Today to Get Started With Your Visa!
15+ Years of High Success Rates

How Can I Obtain a Green Card Through Marriage?

One of the biggest benefits of entering the U.S. immigration process if being able to obtain permanent residency through a green card. A common way that immigrants do this is by marrying a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. However, many people fraudulently marry U.S. residents in order to gain this permanent resident status, so these types of marriages are heavily investigated by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS.


How Can I Legally Get a Green Card Through Marriage?

In order to get a family-based green card for your spouse, if you are a U.S. resident, there is a specific process that you need to follow. The first step is to fill out a USCIS form I-130, which is as petition that establishes the relationship of the immigrant to the U.S. citizen. Along with the petition, both spouses must submit biographic data and information by submitting a G-325A form.


In general, both spouses are responsible for proving the good faith of the marriage, and that the marriage is legitimate. This will also include providing evidence of the marriage’s validity with birth and marriage documents, wedding announcements, insurance and banking information, joint credit card statements and other information.


Next, spouses of U.S. citizens can file for adjustment of status by submitting the I-485, medical report, affidavit of support, an employment authorization document (EAD), the Advance Parole travel document, photographs and fees. Once all of these documents are submitted, your spouse will have a biometric fingerprint appointment. Then, you will both have an immigration interview, and then you can be granted your Permanent Residence Status.


If you would like more information about how you and your spouse can obtain a green card, you should speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through the process.
Contact Sweta Khandelwal today for a consultation.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Recent Posts

Sweta Khandelwal

Sweta completed her Masters in Law from the University of California, Los Angeles and her JD from the Faculty of Law, Delhi University in India and has been practicing law for 15+ years getting visas, green cards, and citizenship for 1000+ clients, 100+ companies across 50+ nationalities.

Sweta has been recognized as a ” Super Lawyer, Rising Star,” and as amongst the ” Top 40 under 40″ immigration attorneys in California (American Society of Legal Advocates). She is also the recipient of the Advocacy Award by the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Sweta is also a chartered accountant — the equivalent of a CPA. This makes her uniquely positioned to understand the immigration needs of her business clients in the broader context of their corporate objectives.

Sweta is actively involved with immigration issues and immigrant communities in various capacities. She has assumed key roles at the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), both at the local and national level. She has been a past chair at the Santa Clara Valley Chapter at AILA and has also been involved in various practice area committees at AILA National. Sweta has addressed multiple conferences/forums in the United States and worldwide on immigration and business issues.

San Jose Office

95 South Market Street, Suite 410, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 542-0499

San Francisco Office

404 Bryant Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 Phone: (408) 317-4662

San Jose Office

2225 East Bayshore Road, Suite 200 Palo Alto, CA 94303
Phone: (408) 317-4662

Contact Us