Adjustment Of Status

Adjustment of Status is the process by which a person who is otherwise eligible to be a permanent resident can obtain a green card without leaving the US. One may apply for a work permit along with Adjustment of Status. If eligible, the person may obtain a travel permit (advance parole) as well.

Generally, the person applying for adjustment of status must have entered the US legally and have never violated his/her immigration status. However, there are a few exceptions.

Persons who are immediate relatives (parents, spouses and citizens of US citizens) may adjust their status if they entered the US lawfully even if they overstayed or worked without authorization without having to pay a penalty fee.

At the Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal, we have represented clients from multiple nationalities to obtain their immigrant visas. Whether you have waited your turn for years as part of the employment and family-based preference category, or have simply overstayed in search of a better life for yourself and your family, contact us to see how we can help you obtain permanent residence.