Call Today to Get Started With Your Visa!
15+ Years of High Success Rates

Categories Of Temporary Visas

Categories Of Temporary Visas Or Non-Immigrant Visas

Applying for a Temporary Visa?

Immigrating to a new country to live or work is a daunting experience. The recent political and legal challenges have made it even more challenging. The smallest mistake could result in a denial of your visa application. Worse, it could lead to deportation. If you utilize the help of an experienced California immigration attorney, you can rest easy knowing the legality of your immigration process is ensured.

The cornerstone of our practice at The Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal is to provide comprehensive immigration solutions and superb service to our clients. For over a decade, she has assisted immigrants secure legal residence in the US. In addition, our attorney has experience in other practice areas concerning immigration issues and immigration law, like corporate immigration compliance and global migration. Our success stems from our compassion and experience.

What Are the Different Types of Temporary Visas?

There are several different types of visas, both temporary and permanent. One of the most common and popular temporary work visas is an H-1B visa. In order to qualify for an H-1B, you must meet some requirements. First, you must work for a U.S. employer in a “specialty” occupation, which requires a bachelors degree. An H-1B is generally granted for three years initially but the time can be extended. Additionally, an H-1B visa holder’s family can obtain H-4 visas which will allow them to stay with the H-1B worker. The following are some of the most common types of temporary visas that our California office can help with:

  • TN Visa: A TN visa admits Canadian (TN-1) and Mexican (TN-2) citizens engaging in a profession in the States. A TN visa can be renewed indefinitely in three-year increments.
  • L-1 Visa: This type of work-related temporary visa is used for intra-company transfer. In other words, these visas are most utilized by companies wanting to transfer an employee already working for them overseas to a U.S. based office for a temporary amount of time. To qualify for an L-1 visa, you must be an employee, executive or manager with specialized knowledge. Spouses of L-1 workers can also apply for work authorization in order to accompany their partner.
  • K-1 Visa: Otherwise known as the “fiancé visa”, this temporary visa is granted to the foreign fiancé of a U.S. citizen. Once married within 90 days, a K-1 visa holder must apply to become a full citizen immediately and obtain a green card. In order to qualify for a K-1 visa, the applicant must meet the requirements. The couple should both be able to legally marry within 90 days after the fiancé enters the States. To be eligible, the fiancé must be traveling to the U.S. for the sole purpose of marriage. Furthermore, the couple must prove they have been together for at least two years.
  • O-1 Visa: O-1 visas are typically granted to persons who are skilled in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics who are otherwise unable to obtain or are unqualified for the H-1B or other non-immigratory temporary visa options.
  • H-2A and H-2B Visas: Under this visa, foreign nationals are able to come to the United States and work for an American agribusiness looking to fill temporary agricultural positions. Typically, in order for companies to hire H-2A and H-2B workers, they must be able to show that their services will be temporary and that there are not enough qualified workers to hire in the U.S. to complete the work.
  • B Visas: A business visa allows an individual not currently employed in the U.S. – and does not operate his or her own business – to enter the country for temporary business purposes. Examples of acceptable purposes include attending conferences, making in-person investments and meetings.
  • B-2 Visa: Otherwise known as a “tourist visa”, a B-2 visa is used for entry into the United States for the purpose of pleasure. It does not allow the B-2 visa holder to attend school or work.
  • F-1 Visa: Also called a “Student visa”, the F1 visa allows foreign nationals to pursue academic study at a higher-education school approved by the Attorney General. The requirements to obtain an F-1 visa are strict and students trying to handle the paperwork on their own often lead to mistakes and even denial of the visa altogether
  • J-1 Visa: The “Exchange visitor” (J-1) visa grants to foreign nationals who have been selected and approved to participate in a work-study program temporary U.S. citizenship. All foreign exchange students must return to their residence abroad at the end of their exchange visitor program. Sweta can help you determine if this requirement pertains to you.
  • H-3 Visa: This temporary visa is for those looking to participate in an officially-recognized training program in the United States. The H-3 cannot be used to seek permanent employment. However, a “productive employment” can be a part of the training program.
  • R-1 Visa: R-1 visas apply to temporary nonimmigrant religious workers who are coming to the States to work part-time (at least 20 hours a week) for a religious organization. Examples of acceptable positions include ministers, missionaries and bookkeepers.


What Are Multiple-Entry Visas?

As a rule, multiple-entry visas (MEV) are unique from single or double-entry visas. MEV applicants typically plan to visit the same country several times over a determined time frame. There are even different subsets of MEVs depending on if you need one for business or pleasure. For example, if you are a crew member on a cruise ship or airplane needing an MEV, the application would be different for you than a businessman’s or tourist’s.

To further complicate matters, each country has the right to set their own rules and regulations regarding MEVs. As a result, all applicants must meet these metrics before gaining approval for entry. If you are unsure of what type of MEV applies you or what the regulations are of the country you are visiting, attorney Sweta Khandelwal has extensive knowledge and resources at her fingertips to help determine what applies to you. Our firm can use every resource we have available to work to protect your best interests.


Facing Deportation? Call Us Today

Do you have questions about your rights or how to apply for a visa? Concerns that your employer is acting unethically? As you can see, there are many different types of visas. It does not take much for the process to become rather tedious, complicated and overwhelming. Without representation, you risk overlooking vital information. It is crucial to work with seasoned legal professionals to ensure the continuity of your legal status in the US. Our California immigration attorney can ensure that you are adequately represented before the Immigration authorities.

If you are looking to apply for any visa, The Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal is here to help. Our lead attorney has been practicing immigration law for many years and will handle your case is the most proficient and expeditious way possible. In these contentious times, it is best to leave the complexities of immigration law to the experts! Contact our California office today to schedule an initial consultation see how we can help you with your visa.