Adjustment of status is the process that you can use to apply for lawful permanent resident status, which is also known as a Green Card. This means that if you are present in the United States, then you can get a Green Card without having to return to your home country to complete your visa processing. There are many things you will have to determine, however, in order to see if you’re eligible to apply for a Green Card.

What Is the Process of Attaining an Adjustment of Status?

The eligibility requirements for adjustment of status will vary depending on the immigrant category you are applying under. The first step is to make sure that you fit into a specific immigrant category. These categories include Green Card through family, employment, special immigrant, refugee or asylum status, human trafficking and crime victims, abuse victims, and registry. Once you determine your category, you will then need to complete two forms: an immigrant petition and a Green Card application. Someone else usually has to file the petition for you (also known as a sponsor). You will need your immigrant petition approved before you can apply for the Adjustment Status/Green Card form.

Afterwards, you will need to check your visa availability in your category and file your Form I-485. You will then need to attend your Application Support Center appointment to give your fingerprints, photograph, and/or signature. After any extra interviews that might be needed, and/or additional evidence given to USCIS, or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. You will then be able to check your case status online. Finally, a written decision notice will be sent to you when the USCIS has decided they have approved your Adjustment of Status.

If you would like more information on how you can get your Green Card, then the attorneys at the Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal can help you get the information you need to start your process. Contact us today.