One of the biggest benefits of entering the U.S. immigration process if being able to obtain permanent residency through a green card. A common way that immigrants do this is by marrying a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. However, many people fraudulently marry U.S. residents in order to gain this permanent resident status, so these types of marriages are heavily investigated by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS.

How Can I Legally Get a Green Card Through Marriage?

In order to get a family-based green card for your spouse, if you are a U.S. resident, there is a specific process that you need to follow. The first step is to fill out a USCIS form I-130, which is as petition that establishes the relationship of the immigrant to the U.S. citizen. Along with the petition, both spouses must submit biographic data and information by submitting a G-325A form.

In general, both spouses are responsible for proving the good faith of the marriage, and that the marriage is legitimate. This will also include providing evidence of the marriage’s validity with birth and marriage documents, wedding announcements, insurance and banking information, joint credit card statements and other information.

Next, spouses of U.S. citizens can file for adjustment of status by submitting the I-485, medical report, affidavit of support, an employment authorization document (EAD), the Advance Parole travel document, photographs and fees. Once all of these documents are submitted, your spouse will have a biometric fingerprint appointment. Then, you will both have an immigration interview, and then you can be granted your Permanent Residence Status.

If you would like more information about how you and your spouse can obtain a green card, you should speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through the process. Contact Sweta Khandelwal today for a consultation.